HSF Challenge 1

January 15, 2014 at 1:52 PM Leave a comment

So I mentioned in my last post that I had decided to participate in the Historical Sew Fortnightly challenge and as the deadline for the first challenge is today, I thought I’d better hurry up and do something🙂

The challenge was called ‘make do and mend’ so I decided it would be quick and useful to add a drawstring to a petticoat I bought off ebay which didn’t have one, as it is of course unwearable without one. This was an easy fix, but without the challenge I might not have got round to it for a while…

I simply made a crochet chain, using one of my antique bone crochet hooks (any excuse to use those, they are lovely and smooth and I can imagine who might have used it when it was new and what they might have made) and some stash yarn. I didn’t have a pure natural fibre the right colour, so I went with the indigo coloured cotton and linen DK. Then I threaded it through the channel tied to a Honiton lace bobbin, which was a very good tool for the job.

Drawstring crocheted with bone hook, tied to Honiton bobbin and drawn through channel. The lace is from the bottom of the petticoat.

Drawstring crocheted with bone hook, tied to Honiton bobbin and drawn through channel. The lace is from the bottom of the petticoat.

The Challenge: Make do and Mend

Fabric: The petticoat is cotton lawn. I used a cotton/linen blend yarn to make the drawstring.

Pattern: none

Year: not sure. It’s not very full and has a bit extra fabric at the back. I would guess late Victorian or Edwardian, but it could have been older and adapted, or could be more recent. Certainly old enough though.

Notions: I used an antique bone crochet hook🙂

How historically accurate is it? Well, it’s an actual antique and I used an antique crochet hook; I chose natural fibre yarn in an indigo colour and used crochet, a technique they used at the time. But I’m not certain if they would have used crochet chain for a drawstring, or whether they would have used dark blue for a white petticoat. I did have some white yarn, but it was half acrylic, so I went with the natural fibre over the more appropriate colour. So I’ll say 99%

Hours to complete: under an hour

First worn: I tried it on for the photo today

Total cost: the petticoat was under £12 and the yarn was stash, bought in a sale and I didn’t use much.

The petticoat can now be worn :) (carefully, of course!)

The petticoat can now be worn🙂 (carefully, of course!)

It might be a simple and quick job, but at least I did it, and just in time🙂 (Maybe I should neaten up those ends though…)

Entry filed under: Hobbies. Tags: .

New(ish) Year Post Void poem

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s

Trackback this post  |  Subscribe to the comments via RSS Feed


January 2014
M T W T F S S
« Dec   Feb »
 12345
6789101112
13141516171819
20212223242526
2728293031  

Recent Posts


%d bloggers like this: